Sunday, November 7, 2010

Good Things Come to Those Who Wait


Today I am 39 weeks pregnant. Four days ago I thought I would be holding our new bundle of joy by now. I had contractions from 7:38 until 2:52. They were the kind of contractions that you knew meant business. Deep, low, breathe through it, rocking back and forth contractions. The last one lasted 5 minutes. It was rough, but doable. I say all this as a cheer to myself because, once again, I plan to have this baby medication free.....and it's not easy, but it is rewarding.

I had forgotten what it was like at the end of the pregnancy to just wait...and wait....and wait some more. Fortunately, for my husband it is hunting season and he has things to take his mind off the waiting. My work from home business is at a stand still, Sydney goes to kindergarten during the day and I only have Harper to keep my mind off the waiting. I have nested myself, almost, out of a nest (my family has threatened to kick me out if they have to smell one more cleaning chemical....EVER). I have walked, I have sat on the ball, I have spent time on my hands and knees all in an effort to move this kid down into my pelvis and get the ball rolling.

Last night my husband and I reminisced about how we waited and waited for Sydney. We went to the mall and walked and walked. We walked the halls of the hospital for hours on end to try to get early labor to speed up and in the end I waited it out by watching Oprah and Wheel of Fortune.

I am reminded how we waited and waited for Harper. I walked 2-3 times a day...in JULY trying to get that child to create an plan of evacuation. We thought every night was "the night". I contracted, I cried (not because they hurt but because I knew they didn't hurt enough to be "it"). I cried because I couldn't sleep. I cried because I was ready to meet Sydney's little sister. I cried because I cried all the time and I decided I ALREADY had postpartum depression. I shed more tears in the last 3 weeks before she was born than I had my entire pregnancy combined. And then I cried more because I had to be induced.

In both cases....The wait was totally worth it. Yes, Sydney can be a bossy britches and drive us crazy. Harper can TOTALLY drive us crazy with all her antics, but they have definitely made our home, our family and this world a better place.

So now we are down to the waiting game with little Remington. We are so ready....even Harper who has been calling him "poopy boy" for the last few months now says she's ready. What I must remember is that patience is a virtue and that this wait, this long and drawn out wait is going to bring to us (hopefully sooner than later) an amazing addition to this family, a new dynamic, one that is sure to shake things up and, again, make this home, this family and this world a better place.

Tonight we are going to go to the mall and, as a family of 4, we will walk and walk and walk and try desperately to create our family of 5 by tomorrow....but if, by chance, tomorrow we are still a family of 4 I pledge to relish in that - to know that Remington is not ready and that our new, fun family of 5 will have to wait.....and that will.be.ok - it must be.

1 comment:

  1. I just love you. Hang in there. You are in the home stretch! Can't wait for your call!!! XO.

    ReplyDelete