Monday, January 31, 2011

What is it about bread and milk?

There is a storm a brewing. It is January in Northwest Arkansas which means it's time for winter weather. There's a phrase around here - "if you don't like the weather, stick around a day or two and it will change". Two days ago it was 70 degrees and we played outside ALL DAY LONG. Tonight we are expecting ".25 to .5 inches of ice topped with 4-10 inches of snow with power outages likely, significant tree and limb damage likely and treacherous travel conditions" per Garrett Lewis, the local meteorologist.

In the south, the threat of a flurry causes mad chaos. Everyone gets prepared for the worst. I am no exception. I cannot drive in ice. I have tried twice.....I have wrecked twice..... I am grounded from driving in inclement weather per my husband. So I am more prepared than the average Joe. There are two propane tanks with the gas cooker and iron skillet ready to cook meals on. Major groceries have been purchased. Flashlights are in every room. We have extra batteries. The candles are lined up on the counter. I am currently deciding on multiple snow day activities...... we.are.ready.

This afternoon after school I took the kids to Chick Fil A to run off extra energy and have an outing before we're cooped up for a few days. While there, I overheard a woman on a cell phone having a discussion. It was clearly with her husband and it went something like this:

Woman: "I'm at Chick Fil A now across from Wal-Mart and if you saw this parking lot you would not ask me to go in there....."
My guess is that husband said something to the effect of "it's going to storm - we HAVE to go to the store......"
Woman: "You can go"
guessing the husband said "......what do we need....."
Woman: "well don't most people pick up bread and milk? I guess get that"

I find it hysterical that there is all this peer pressure to go to the store when it's going to storm. I find it very funny that milk and bread are ALWAYS the staples. Why does the brownie aisle not run out of brownies? How does the liquor store not run out of wine? You don't hear about the stores running out of lunch meat or peanut butter - what are we putting on this bread that we just have to have? I also find it hysterical that if this week had not been my major grocery shopping week, I would have gone to the store anyway....and I would have bought bread and milk, because I was raised in the south, there's the threat of a flurry and that's just what we do.

Happy Snow Storm!!!! Stay safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment