Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Snow Days!



I will never forget when I was growing up the excitement that the possibility of snow brought. We would watch the sky, wonder when it was coming, speculate on when we would find out the age old question.... would we or would't we have school the next day. Mom would be sure the alarm radio was set to KARV, the local station, so that she would know immediately when she woke up if she could let us sleep or if we needed to get up and start getting ready for school. Living in the South, snow days were few and far between so the excitement in the air was like static electricity! Ah the memories...... cocoa and toast for breakfast, sledding, getting pelted with snow balls by my brother - sweet, sweet memories from childhood.

Now, I'm the mommy. We will have our 5th snow day this winter tomorrow and probably our 6th the next day. I am trying my hardest to create sweet, sweet memories for my kids, but I am quickly running out of ideas!!!! We have painted, made tents, played charades, made homemade play dough, made salt dough creations, baked cookies, baked brownies, made hot chocolate, sat by the fireplace with all electronics off pretending our power went out, played outside, made snow ice cream, brought buckets of snow inside, made a miniature snowman in our living room, painted the snow outside, went sledding, played board games, played school.... and the list goes on and on. I pray that 20 years from now my kids are sitting in their living room, blogging about their perfect snow day memories from childhood and thinking about the next snow day memory they will create with their own children. At the end of these snow days I am mentally exhausted, but this is the part of parenthood I love......creating these amazing memories.....

Happy Snow Day 2011!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment