Tuesday, February 22, 2011

This is what it's about

This is not my first post about pride. I discussed pride early in the fall when I saw a picture of my husband and his brother, Wes, after Wes had killed a deer.

This post is about the pride I feel for my children. Did you ever see that look of pride on your parents' faces and kind of think they were crazy? I am that mom. Sydney thinks I'm a complete nut. I cry at everything all the time.... especially when it comes to my babies growing up. It's bittersweet. I love that my babies are getting so big...and I hate it at the same time. But this is what parenting is about: It's about tough times that you think you'll never see the end of and about the times that you just want to relive over and over...and over again. Here are some things that I am proud of as I sit here tonight:

Remington, your current new trick is that you are trying desperately to roll over. It will be the last time I see one of my babies roll over for the first time. You, also, have recently started really smiling at me. That kind of smile that says "Hey - I know you. You're my mommy and I feel safe with you." It.is.precious.
I love the "firsts" of life. I can't wait to see the look of pride on your own face when you do something that you know you should be proud of.

Harper.....sweet, sweet Harper. You are the class clown, forever doing things that I should get on to you for (passing gas at the dinner table), but you are hilarious and, if you can do such things with grace and a touch of humor, you definitely accomplish it. One minute you are trying to get away with something you know is not right, and the next minute you are busting into the bathroom while yelling "MOMMYYYYY....I jus wuv you SO SO much and I need a hug from you NOW!!" You can make me laugh and cry within moments of each other. (Sidenote: I am not proud of you for passing gas at the dinner table - I am proud of your spirit, your wild and crazy, funny spirit).

Sydney.....Just when I think my "Sydney pride-o-meter" has reached it's top level, you go and do something that makes it find a new top. One of my favorite things about you is that I believe you are a very well rounded individual. You are smart, funny and talented in many ways.

1) Talented musically: Today you came home with a CD of a song you are learning for the end of the year program. There was a note that said, "Sydney - verse 2". You have a solo - your 3rd in your short 6 years of life. The lyrics are about being beautiful on the inside. It's 3 lines. I could not get through the first without tearing up. It is a very fitting song. You are beyond beautiful on the inside. You have a spirit of love, kindness and peace that is truly inspiring. Those 3 lines will be beautifully sung by you because you illustrate them so well. I cannot wait to hear you sing it at your program - all I can say is that the Kleenex industry will be very, very lucky that day.

2) Intelligent and Talented in your ability to write: Today you received the "Principal's Pick" award for a writing assignment you had completed a few weeks ago. I saw that assignment. I am amazed at how well you write. I hope you love it like I do. Your name was called out over the intercom for the first time all year. I can picture you walking down to the office to pick up your special pencil, head held high and knowing that you were being recognized for something you had written so beautifully. Oh to be a fly on the wall.....

3) Talented Physically and extremely well-mannered: Tonight you had karate and I marveled at your maturity. I watched you listen to your teacher, say "yes ma'am" and do what was asked of you the first time. You were quiet and treated your teacher with respect. Plus, your front kick was, by far, the best in the class...you even beat out the boys (totally in my opinion, but that counts, right?) You are becoming this amazing young lady with goals, dreams and opinions. I'm proud of you Sydney Reese. I love you and I'm proud of you. Keep it up.

I can't imagine being more proud of any of my children, but I bet in the years to come my "Pride-O-Meter" continues to soar to new heights.

These kids, the laughter, the spark they have, the firsts.....the pride - This....is what it's all about.

Love you

No comments:

Post a Comment