Monday, February 28, 2011

This was going to be a serious post.......

But I changed my mind. I have some truly funny kid stories that I must discuss. If you have read very much of my blog you know that my kids are my world -and there is no better humor than kid humor. Today was Sydney's birthday. Sydney has been talking about her 6th birthday for 364 days, but the talk increased ten-fold a couple of months ago. It increased so much and she asked me so often "how many more day til my birthday" that when we were "Snowed in and stressed out" I helped her make a Birthday Chain. We did pink links for the number of days until her actual birthday and then purple links for the number of days until her party. It took a good hour out of snow day number 8 and served it's purpose well. Whenever she asked me how many days I made her go count her links. Last night we went out to dinner to celebrate her birthday. Before we went out to dinner I allowed Syd to open a quick present. It was a new outfit to wear to school - I let her open it early so I could wash it. Harper saw Syd's new outfit and said "where's mine?" "Well Harper it's sissy's birthday, you don't need a new shirt." Harper was excited about going out to eat too, but was a little disappointed when Sydney got to have the whole entire gynormous Chocolate Mess right in front of her complete with a candle and the birthday song. She quickly asked "when is it my birfday?" "July 16th sweetie...a few more months". We put everyone to bed, we all slept great (except when the earthquake woke us up) and they woke up to 2 birthday presents at Sydney's spot at the breakfast table. Harper oohed and ahhed appropriately and then said "do I det a birfday pwesent?" "well honey it's not your birthday. Your birthday is July 16th" After taking Sydney to school we came home to play. Harper said "wanna tolor" (color). "Sure". She picked out a Hello Kitty coloring book to which I said, "ooohhh this is Syd's favorite. We should color her a birthday picture." Harper was appropriately supportive of this idea, but asked in the middle of our coloring, ever so nonchalantly, "when is my birfday again?" "It's in July. It's a few months away." After some errand running I put Harper down for her nap. I told her it was very important to go to sleep quickly so we could get up and go have cupcakes at Sydney's school for Syd's birthday!" to which she replied "yay yay yay tuptates....for my birfday?" "not quite princess. A few more months." While in my bedroom wrapping up a few Pampered Chef details I heard Harper over the monitor singing herself to sleep. Her song went a little something like this "Happy Birfday to me......Happy Birfday to me......I don't know what July is..... Happy Birfday to me." Sadly, for Harper, the celebration is not over. We still have 2 separate parties on March 12th....she'll really be playing the "poor pitiful me" card by the 13th.

So while at school having chocolate cupcakes with the class (and let me just take this time to give a shout out to the teachers - you are all truly amazing!) The conversation at Table 1 went something like this :
Camden: "hey have you seen that movie Diarrhea of a Wimpy Kid?"
Me: "no"
Abbe: "Hey I had diarrhea once"
Camden: "Yeah me too. Why would they make a whole movie about a kid with diarrhea?"
Abbe: "I don't know, but when I had diarrhea it was so really bad and it smelled so gross!"
Me: trying desperately to stifle a gag

These 5 year olds were completely unaffected by the fact that they were discussing their own bowel movements with one another over a chocolate dessert.... vo....mit

Tonight trying to get through the killer hour by myself again with Harper skating on thin ice:

Me: "Harper why do I have to yell at you to make you do what I ask? Why don't you do what I ask the first time? Do you want me to spank you?"
Harper: with the cutest grin you have ever seen "I don't know mommy, but did I tell you that I hurt my finger, my pants are wet because I peed and that 8 is my favorite number?" Why do I think I sound like Charlie Brown's teacher to her???????

1 comment: