Friday, February 11, 2011

Never underestimate the power of human contact


So....my last several posts have been about snow. If you are sick of snow talk hit "next blog" now. Obviously, you all know that I am beyond OVER the snow. I'm over snow, snow activities, snow days, snow day activities and the color white, in general. In the past when we have been snowed in, my husband has been home and so there's the thought that we could get out when we had too. There were a couple of different aspects to this snowfall.
1) It was our 3rd this winter
2) Twenty four inches fell in about 8 hours time
3) Aaron was out of town
4) I discovered we do not own a snow shovel.

The snow hit late Tuesday night. Wednesday morning was spent staring out the window in disbelief at the record snow fall. By Thursday the excitement of snow days was over for everyone involved. Thursday afternoon I realized that I.was.trapped. The snow was so deep my garage door would not open, there was a drift in front of my front door that stood close to 3 feet tall. I began to hyperventilate. The kids conversations turned to shrill screaming, arguing over everything, tattling. The walls were closing in. I broke out in a cold sweat. How long would it take for all this snow to melt? Sure, it was supposed to be in the 40s by Saturday, but we're talking 2 feet of snow! (In hindsight, I realize I might have been over reacting a wee bit, but in the moment it seemed like a very real fear). I knew the snow would be having a serious melt down soon and I also knew the Arrant family would be too.
Friday morning I got word that my parents were coming to help me deal with my children and help me dig out of my driveway. I literally teared up when I got the text. I had no idea how important adult conversation is to me and how desperate I was for adult contact. My kids are my world, but let's face it - we mommies need other mommies....and sometimes we need our own mommy.
My parents arrived. My dad and I shoveled my driveway together. My mom and I stayed up and chatted and watched T.V. We didn't have deep meaningful conversations where we solved all the worlds problems, but we were together. It was nice. Hopefully, tomorrow we can get out. We need to make a trip to Wal-Mart and we have a family birthday party to attend. I will appreciate the sunshine tomorrow. I will make eye contact and smile at other people I come in contact with. I will appreciate adult conversation and I think I'll be a better mommy.

Dear Lord:
The snowfall was beyond beautiful. From a certain angle it looked like my yard was covered in diamonds because of the incredible rays of sun shining down on it. Thank you for the ability to see the beauty of it. Forgive me for taking for granted my precious children and snapping at them when I'm at the end of my rope. Lord, I ask you to lengthen my rope on those days. Most of all, Lord, thank you for my mom and dad, who sensed my panic and came to my rescue. I pray that Aaron and I are that same kind of mom and dad today, tomorrow and 30 years from now.
Amen

3 comments:

  1. what a great post. i couldn't image what you days must have been like. i have one kid and could get in and out, but didn't too cold! i was going crazy, but mine was a level 2, yours seems like a level 10!
    glad all is better

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! What a difference a day and parents make! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, I really feel for you. So nice of you to actually appreciate your parents! They are such wonderful people. Isn't it nice to know they will be there for you. I enjoyed your prayer as well. It is always good to thank the Lord...even in bad times! Love ya, girl!!

    ReplyDelete