Thursday, March 31, 2011

Road Tripping with the fam




I LOVE a good road trip. I love the adventure, the laughs, the music and the memories. When the words "road trip" come to mind I imagine a group of girl friends, convertibles, loud music, fast food, hysterical laughter and non-stop fun. Over spring break I took a road trip. It was a little different than I typically imagine. There were definitely girls who are friends (daughters, a mom and a niece), there was a rocking SUV where the convertible should be, there was Kids Bop 17 where "Sweet Home Alabama" should have been, there was definitely lots of laughter, there was a lot of fun, a little discipline and a tiny bit of adventure (and it's name was the turnpike to hell) and there was apple juice where........well you might guess what should go there.

The fun started when I realized the mini van would be in the shop during our trip. This meant that the kids and I would not be able to make the trip to Rsvl on Friday or Saturday. This, in turn, meant that mom and Meghan, my niece, would be traveling to NWA on Friday night so that we could leave early Saturday morning for our super fun road trip......taking a path that we had not yet traveled (insert adventure music here) or a quote from Robert Frost "Two roads diverged in a yellow path and I, I took the one less traveled, and that has made all the difference in the world." - ok that's a bit dramatic, but I digress.


Mom was the captain of this journey which meant she was to drive....and only drive (she makes me very nervous behind the wheel - just so you know).


I was the first officer and in charge of changing music, opening drinks (usually water with the occasional diet coke....we're not that adventurous), passing snacks to the 3rd row passengers, retrieving fallen baggage, books and pillows, feeding the only (and cutest) 2nd row passenger, watching the GPS and all in all helping make decisions like where to eat (P.S. McDonalds is the ONLY choice within an hour and a half on the turnpike to Muskogee - beggars can't be choosers).





The second row of our ship was inhabited by a very cute, smiley, sleepy and happy baby.







The 3rd row.....those girls were nuts! Three girls ages 8, 6 and 2 1/2 had our voyage a rocking and a rolling from Taylor Swift to Kingdom Kidz to Kids Bop 17 we had non-stop song, giggles, all out laughter and some serious silly behavior.




The road trip was though pretty uneventful. We did get trapped on a turnpike in which our only nutrition was 2 boxes of girl scout cookies.




We've never been so excited to see a McDonald's


Sydney got stung by a bee too which was no fun at all and little man got a little tired of sleeping in the floor. But all in all it was so much fun.




There were 2 trips to a local park.





Exploring my grandparents' property for the girls.



Bunking 3 to a full sized bed.


Good food


And spending time with my grandparents' and my mom.



It's not very often that mom and I get several hours to chat about anything and everything and though I loved seeing Grandma and Mimi, it was the time with my mom that I think was most special. Seeing my elderly grandparents made me realize how important it is to cherish every single second with your own parents. I hope one day my girls feel about me the way I feel about my mom. She's a great advisor, confidante and friend. Not the best driver and a little flighty, but an amazing friend with a ton of laughs up her sleeve. I had fun with you mom! Let's do it again next year!!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment