Sunday, January 1, 2012

"It means you get to eat the cracker...."

Two posts in one day (GASP) - Relax, it's January 1st - I'll be down to one a week in no time :). This one's about the kiddos...as promised.

While at my mother in law's house last week, my two older girls were playing pretend play as usual. They always have the silliest games. This day in particular they were playing "Baptize me". Sydney would dip Harper and say "congratulations, girl. You're baptized". So I asked her "Do you know what it means to be baptized?" to which she replied, "it means you get to eat the cracker."

Sydney has been told over and over again that communion is a grown up tradition and she can't participate until she gets baptized. At our church this means that you've gone through a class and been taught about the symbols of communion, therefore you understand God's great sacrifice. I've been taking communion since I was in the 4th grade, went through the class and got baptized, but until I had children of my own, I never fully understood God's sacrifice. As my pastor said at the communion table this morning, "I cannot imagine losing a child, but giving one up to go through what Jesus went through is unfathomable. And, that's how much God loves us."

Dear God, may I instill in my children that it is about so much more than eating a cracker.

Thank you God, for your ultimate sacrifice

No comments:

Post a Comment