Monday, January 9, 2012

She can be such a terror.....and then there was yesterday

This post is dedicated to Harper:

Harper, when you are older we will look back on your childhood with laughter, giggles and stress (like most children's childhoods are made up of). You are our middle child. You are the one who challenges us most (although, right this second your younger brother is giving you a definite run for your money in that category). You do things that you know are wrong just to get a reaction out of us. You stick your tongue out at me when I tell you to do something, you pull your pants down and "moon" your sister when she aggravates you (I have no idea where you learned this ever so lady-like gesture), you hit, you bite, you push and when we are not completely over the edge frustrated with you, you make us giggle to no end. I contend this is why your behavior has been known to be out of control. Because you do with all of these fantastic behaviors with the cutest funniest expression on your face....and your grin is infectious.

Yesterday you threw a fit in church. It.was.epic! We went to early service. There is no nursery. Your brother was beyond disruptive so your dad took him out to let him crawl around the vestibule/lobby. That left me with you and your sister who chatted, argued and then got the giggles....but this time, you see, it was NOT infectious. It was during silent prayer and communion time. I told you both to "zip it" multiple times, I separated you....in the end I just could not wait to get out of there.

When we exited the sanctuary, your dad could tell by the look on my face that I had had to put up with way too much. He decided to have a "talk" which resulted in a screaming fit - right there in front of God and everybody. It was beyond embarrassing. He left carrying you out to the car. I heard your screams down the entire 50 yard hallway. People stared and exchanged knowing glances of what was to be your fate.

You calmed down, we finished our day at church and finished our day in general. The fit was forgotten because that's what good daddies do.

However, you did not forget it. Last night after you were put to bed you got up, crawled in daddy's lap and said, ever so softly, "I'm sorry I was mad to you at church".....I actually saw his heart drip down his arms as it melted right out of his chest....

He tucked you in, kissed you on the forehead, left your room, looked me in the eye and said "some dude is gonna be in real trouble someday with that one.....she just knows how to get you right in center of the chest"

You make it worth it, Harp - with all your antics and craziness, I wouldn't trade my life or my Middle Sister for the world!

1 comment:

  1. Awwwww! I know the feeling about having crazies in church. I go to second service, and just keeping them appearing sane and normal for those 15 minutes is enough trouble! What a sweetie though... I like her, she reminds me of my middle kid :)

    ReplyDelete